Monday, August 8, 2011

What sound does "y" make?



Anchor anyone?



Today was a much slower day by far.  We are staying at that same air force base in King Salmon for some new teacher inservice.  Breakfast was early this morning at the district office and the training started right after.

The bus ride was a bit bumpy but they had fun
We learned about standards based education, the tests that they are administered and how to give some of them.  We also learned that much of our letter sounds that we were taught as young students were taught to us wrong.  Imagine learning that all those letter sounds were wrong and then trying to make your brain correct a student during a timed test with all that past knowledge getting in the way.  It was kinda funny.  I know I'll have a hard time with it! Did you know that "y" sounds like Yee?



Our dinner diner
After training we took a bus ride to Naknek, a small village, and had dinner there.  My french dip was good but way too big.  Eric about freaked out when I told him how much it was.  19 bucks for the sandwich and 4 bucks for the bottle of apple juice.  I wasn't going to get the drink but the water smelled of sulfur and I needed something to drink terribly!  So that money the district gave us for per diem staying the night came in handy!

Aside from that, we have not much going on.  We fly to Katmai tomorrow for some more inservice and exciting adventures!  There should be some AWESOME pictures coming from those days.  I'm also happy to report (maybe) that I did receive my first skeeter bite last night and forgot to tell you all about it.  Bad Dorothy!




1 comment:

  1. That completely changes the alphabet for me.. w,x,yee, z... lol

    ReplyDelete