Monday, August 8, 2011

Pack N' Ship

Day 2.

It's an exclusive club.  I'm not sure that I really wanted to join it.  You gotta have money, willingness to shop on end and the desire to not starve for 4 months.  I guess that last part would help the second part out but I gotta tell you, the first part, it's a shocker!  If you wanna join it, get a job in the Alaskan bush and you to could join the ranks of those who buy in mass quantities and learn how to pack and ship the Alaskan way!


All the totes we need.  Or so we thought.

A view from the back seat.


No where left to sit

Look at all this!

Unloaded, some packed...so much work left!
It's famous now.  The face that created giggles!





My new Costco personal record!
Dry food, non-perishable items and anything you need for the apartments all gets bought and shipped either via bush orders at the stores (wonderful!) or you take it with you, pack it yourself and then take it to the post office.  The Bush Mail at Wal mart....wonderful!!!  Here's the stuff I want, you pack it and bill me for shipping.  Yeah, I don't have to deal with it anymore.  Thank goodness.   Shopping at Costco, they don't have that option but they have the stuff I want.  It comes home with me and I make it ready to ship.

Duck Taped boxes of fruits and veggies ready to go
 I didn't ever think i'd be duct taping boxes together as close to 70 lbs. as possible.  (as long as they were the same exact size and squared off)  All boxes shipped needed both a return and to address though the "to" was so big and taped to it so well that if Godzilla tried to take it off it would only make a scratch in it so there was no way it could get "lost".  Totes were zip-tied on one end so if it was over the limit we could remedy the situation quickly before closing them for good.

We got everything bundled up, ready to go and headed to the post office at 7 pm.  It's the busiest one I guess and they are open until midnight.  We took in several totes, boxes, etc and waited in line.  It started out with our "guide" asking if they had carts or a special procedure for so much stuff and "Richard" said to just get a hand truck and start bringing it in.  Not so nice of a tone.....we knew it wasn't a good night for him.   Guess who was my teller?...Richard.  Oh, kill him with kindness.  Beg for mercy as it was my first time ever shipping and I had just left my family 2 days ago.  Play the victim card.  It worked.  I got a few smiles, some passes and of course a "Nooooope!   3 lbs. overweight!" or the like when something was just a bit heavy.  Good thing I had room in another tote!

Shipping at the Airport Post office
The others were glad I got him and worked my magic while they enjoyed the fruits of friendlier cashiers.  Our evening ended with a Subway fix and a late night in the front room.  Headed to bed for another day of more shopping for the cold and frozen items to again pack and then fly with us to King Salmon.  It will end, then we won't have to shop for 4 months!  I'm ready for that for sure!
Receipts from Post office

The rest of you....please comment and add your memories of me and my craziness.....I'm sure your accounts of me making you laugh or doing something weird are much better than mine!


Day 2, in the books.  Yes, It's the end of day three but I think that blog will have to wait until tomorrow morning.  Good grief I'm tired!

2 comments:

  1. You just wore me out with that post... I think I would fall over from mental exhaustion of trying to remember to buy crap that I would need 4 months from now. I do okay just buying toilet paper in the time to use it.

    I am finding the shipping at the stores a very unusual feature, but something I would definitely be glad of if I were in your position.

    Get some sleep and take care - keep documenting your adventures, I do love to read them!

    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I can now say you have definitively outdone us on our hunting adventure a few years back - man that is a lot of boxes to ship!! Keep up the good work, you're nearing the end of stage one adjustment period....

    Uncle John

    ReplyDelete