Monday, August 8, 2011

Purchasing Power

Day 3

So if yesterday's post wasn't enough.  We got to do it all over again!  Dry non-perishable foods ship through the mail just fine but what do you do for the frozen and cold stuff?  Opps, forgot about that huh? Well, here's what happens.

My coolers and me getting ready for Costco
You buy coolers (or totes we found out) take them with you to Costco and fill them to the brim.  That is, as long as it is under the 50 lb. weight limit the airlines impose.  Coolers are not as light as we thought.  Nor are the pounds of meat, cheese, egg beaters, butter, etc that we stuffed in them.  In addition to that I had my big suitcase to ship which had to stay with me because of the gun.

So here's what it feels like.  I go in with this well planned out list of the cold stuff I'd need for 4 months.  As I get to the ground turkey portion (my first stop) and start to pile it into the cooler I watch the space disappear.  What?!  I haven't even put a single other item in here yet!  Ok, let's see what half of that looks like in here.  Ok, half of what I had put down on the list....I can deal with half.  Head to the roast section.  Thank goodness, I can fit one of those nice roast packages in my tote, that took up a TON of weight.  Ok, let's not concern ourselves with weight, lets see how much we can fit in here.  How about pork chops, they were thick, I can half those before I freeze them for good, my fillet knife will go right through those.   Head to the frozen/fridge section and toss in some cheese and other frozen chicken etc.   Where is that other cooler?  This one is already full.   Ok, second cooler, now it's full too.  Darn it.  Um, how much is another checked bag or is it better to have one overweight?  Call Mom.  She's a lifesaver and I purchase another cooler.

So much luggage.  Not the kind I thought I'd have!
It was a good thing too.  I ended up with 4 checked bags, 3 of them coolers.  They were all overweight which was going to cost me money on each one so we did some shifting and made just one of them such.  A big pillow came out of my checked bag and into the carryon because it was too heavy as well.  Someone should have video'd the "lay and spin" technique I used to get that carry-on closed!  Instant classic, I bet the airport security had a blast watching that one on tape.

We were all checked in and then proceeded right to the gate.  Not through TSA.  No TSA.  At least for this airline.  Heck yes!  I don't know if I could have dealt with taking off the shoes, opening bags, opening computer cases and such after so many long days and then putting things all back together again.  Much less the thought that my carry-on might just react like Mentos and Diet Coke!

SAAB 340 to King Salmon
We got to King Salmon after a small plane ride of about an hour.  It was pretty loud and I'm glad I grabbed the earplugs they passed out as you boarded the flight.  I figured if they are offering, it's a good idea to get them!  Everyone has to give their weight for the flight so they can balance out the plane.  No switching seats if it's not full.  I didn't get the window seat so no great pictures this flight sorry guys.  Another time maybe.  We were met in King Salmon by a team of district principals and such that helped us with our bags.




Special Airport Greeter! He wanted to play fetch with his rock (chunk of asphalt)  I just couldn't resist!

Signs near the base

Right outside the airport

Spruce trees out my dorm window
We got into our decommissioned Military base dorms and went to the Superintendents house for dinner.  Met a few new people and enjoyed seeing part of the new "family."  Dinner was fantastic and the first home-cooked meal I've had in awhile.  Broccoli, roasted potatoes, carrots, prime rib, oh...and King Salmon.....it's like candy.  SO GOOD!  I think I'll be just fine.


1 comment:

  1. This is so cool! I'm loving reading about this! It's so interesting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete