Thursday, August 18, 2011

The first days of school

What do you remember about your first days of school?

As a student:  walking into classrooms that were unfamiliar, meeting teachers for the first time, getting syllabus after syllabus and learning what was to be done for the year.  Catching up with friends that you had lost contact with over the summer and getting back into the clubs and activities that didn't occupy your time while you were lazy during those long summer months.

As a teacher:  all of the prep time it took to get to that first day of school.  Meeting all the new students, trying to remember a TON of names and faces only to have to ask them again the next day.  (or the next minute) and worrying about where your resources were going to come from.

Before
After, from the front, my desk & student help area to the left
As a teacher in Alaska:  The first day; I only have 5 students so far?  Really!?  The other two are due to show up a little later but then I'll only have 7!   Wait, all the subjects?  Oh boy, that's a TON of prep time ahead of me.  Math, they are all in different levels, 2 History levels too?  Wait, Science, 2 of them as well?  How many standards, strands, etc?  How do I know when they are proficient?  Signing on the first time on the first day and the internet is down (quick email *which still worked oddly due to the bug) which was back up quickly.  Profile sheets for every subject.  Literature books too?  Oh gosh, I'm overwhelmed.  Thank goodness there was technology and Physical education.
Science area, books are now off desks because kids are here.


Technology.  I got this one in the bag.  Thank you WOU.  Oh ya, forgot one little part, I had not used a SMARTboard in 3 years.  Guess what, when a student tells you that "you can circle and tap to erase" you feel pretty dumb.  Yes, you can and it works really well if you can reach the top of the board.  It was hung for the last teacher who was nice and tall.  I have a great yard stick that has no metal points that I use for the top of the board and I basically write on the bottom 2/3rd's.  It's all good though and they were excited with what else I showed them the rest of the day.  Plus, when I introduced them to their MacBooks, showed them Photo Booth and then remotely accessed one of them to put onto the board while they were playing they figured out that I can see everything they do at any moment.  Oh honest statement;  "Oh!  That will keep me from doing a ton of stuff then!"

My books for all the different levels the kids are in, not even all of them
Physical Education.  A no brainer.  I've been doing this for years.  A year of student teaching and 3 years of teaching.  Nothing more than a band-aid needed.  Well, that streak is out the window!  What happens today?  The second day of school?  A great big broken arm.  Both bones in the right forearm, visible deformity and one trooper of a kid.  You get to be flown out of town for something like that.  He was awesome about it and is doing well at the last update.







The kids called me "Bone Breaker" for the rest of the day and continued to make me feel like a heel with comments all in good nature.  Time for science, better put those goggles on, don't wanna put out an eye, you know what happened in PE today.

It's all good, I just feel terrible.

On the upside, the class is up and going and seems to be doing well.








4 comments:

  1. Oh No! A broken arm! I'd be totally traumatized! I'm glad the kid is okay. I can't believe the transformation of the room! It looks amazing! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Dorothy! What a great way to start school in your new place! And no one could tell the story any better than you! Tomorrow will have to be a better day, but now I will have to print this off so I can read it to Mom. She asked about you several times today, and so did a couple of the other ladies at her lunch table, so I told them of your fishing adventure.... next time I'll take prints of the pictures you posted. Your smile says it all, you look like you were meant to be there. Take care, and I'd definitely keep those goggles handy, and don't take on any chemistry experiments quite yet.... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are doing great DJ. The students have gained a great her and an adventurer! Aunt Jean and I are sitting at Heathrow airport in London waiting for the next leg of our journey to Sweden! Keep up the blog reports, we love them.

    ReplyDelete