Monday, August 15, 2011

Getting ready...'cause they're a commin'

Oh my goodness.  I don't even know where to start.  It has been quite the busy past few days.  Arriving in Egegik, meeting the new "family", seeing my classroom for the first time, seeing my apt. for the first time, putting my apartment together and diving into what will be my life for the next nine months.

Flying in during some low clouds is interesting.  The pilot has to get a "special" to fly because it's not ideal weather.  It's common, don't worry.  We made it just fine obviously.  I could see most of the time from the co-pilot seat!  I didn't see any big wildlife though I did see some cranes on the many lakes we passed over. Being only 400 feet in the air allows for some great sight seeing while flying.  We drop down into Egegik and land on a gravel runway, hop out, grab our gear and off the pilot goes.  Well, there we are.  April calls her boys and we wait the five minutes while they come from town to the airstrip to get us.  Then we head to the incinerator for garbage drop-off.  Yep, they burn it all then bury it in the landfill so it doesn't attract bears.

I've had some great dinners with April's family (the other teacher).  Her hubby, Hoss, is a good cook and they are very welcoming.  The smoked Salmon was fantastic, I can't believe I was so lucky to get salmon and corn on the cob my first night here.  So yummy!  They also had the smoker going and showed me how it worked.  Quite the set up and I got some fresh out of the smoker the next day.  Super yummy!  Eric, I don't know that your salmon collars will be quite so safe anymore!  Though, I bet I bring home better!

I've learned that if you lead, the goat will follow and it's quite amazing how big her belly will get after about an hour of eating.  If you stick your face into the wind, the bugs don't mess with you as much (or at least you don't feel it).  I've also learned that I know how to crack a bull whip. *the first time I cracked it, it actually cracked.....on my shoulder.    OUCH!   But, after watching others attempt and listening to how it was supposed to be done, I did it.  It was awesome!  I must be a natural.  <<(brushes dust of her shoulders)>>

I've also learned how much I really do love my SMARTBoard again.  I missed having that thing.  This one is great.  Speakers and the projector all built into one.  I think they mounted it with tall people in mind though.  I can't reach the top so my non-metal tipped yard stick is quite the handy tool!  It will be so nice to be able to teach the kids how to use the new Mac laptops on it and will be great for presentations and everything I have learned with my degree.  I can't wait.  Now to order the right cord from Apple for the iPad2.  I guess I should get on that huh?

My classroom is coming together nicely.  Curriculum support was here today, principal will be here tomorrow and for the first day of school on Wednesday.  I'm a little nervous with so many people around, I'd like to just start off and have them come around once I've settled in but I'm also glad they are around.  Makes it feel like it's a little bigger school.  I should probably pop over into the gym tomorrow since I haven't even been in there yet.

I like watching the dogs run along side their owners cars/4-wheelers in town though when I'm told there are dogs w/out a home it saddens me.  I know I can't have or adopt one because that would mean taking one home with me in the summer time and I just can't do that but my heart goes out to them.  Plus, I miss my puppies.  That makes it harder to watch the one I've seen roam.

All is well, I'm waiting for a few more packages and my big black duffel to show up.  It will be a good day when everything is here and I don't have to worry about it being hung up in some locker waiting to go out on a plane to get here.

Anyhow, I'll get some before and after pictures up tomorrow when the room is ready for the kids.  I hope you all know I'm not neglecting you, I'm just super busy!




No comments:

Post a Comment