Sunday, August 21, 2011

If you don't like the weather....

In Oregon we have a saying; If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes.  It'll change.

In Alaska, it's pretty much the same thing.  I've watched it go from a beautiful sunrise this morning (that was way early) to some clouds, back to nice bright blue skies.  Then it turned sharply to a downpour for about 5 minutes and that blew off.  This afternoon it was sunny and very windy which is nice because it keeps the bugs away.  Now, for the past hour or so the wind has been blowing steadily and the clouds have been rolling in.  I'm sure there is rain in the forecast for tonight but I'm hoping that the sunset is a pretty one.  Though, I'm kinda hoping to be asleep for a long time before that happens tonight.

I now know what the fire alarms sound like in the building.  I know I know, you all want a great story that goes along with that.  There isn't one.  The guys were here from the district today testing the system.  I do know though how to reset the system in case one of the kids decides to pull the alarm!  We can even do a real fire drill now!  

I've been amazed at a few things today.  The "store" is not open today (which doesn't surprise) but the prices I've been told about are out of this world.  A doz. eggs for 7 bucks.  A pound of butter for 7 bucks?  I've also heard that when they do get some fresh milk in, it's 12 bucks a gallon.  I also am amazed at how intense the wind is.  The metal panelling on the side of the staircase is shaking a bit when the wind gusts and the fan above the stove is moving in the opposite direction because the wind is coming down it so forcefully.  

I'm doing well though I know that this weekend was spent on the couch just watching a TV series I had fallen behind on at home, tomorrow is a non-student day and my co-teacher is leaving for a week long inservice for special ed.  Since I have time to do whatever I want because there is no laundry to do, dog hair to vacuum or sales to visit with a friend, it's been easy to catch up.  The couch has served as my bed for the past two nights because I'm waiting for my mattress toppers to get here from Kohl's.  I might try another night in the bed just for a change but the couch is very comfy and I'm not sure I want to risk it.  Aside from that, I'm waiting on one more bag I mailed form Anchorage to show up (I sure hope it does!) and I'll be all settled in.

No comments:

Post a Comment