Wednesday, August 10, 2011

There was a crooked little man...


Our Plane

(Cat-My) Lodge

Inside the main area



These two pics, about 30 minutes apart




End of the road
Chicken wire for traction




Our fearless Anchorage leader, Bill (and his antlers)

Our delay to Katmai finally ended and the first group was rushed away to the airport.  We drove right up to a back gate and because it's a taxi service again, drove right through a gate as our plane was coming up.  The pilot opened up the two hatched shoved more bags in then I ever though possible and loaded up the 9 of us.  There were only 8 seats though.  Oh, too bad, I had to sit co-pilot!

It was so cool!  "The picture" is on the superintendents camera so I hope to see that someday.  If I get a copy of that I'll get it up here.  For now though you'll have to deal with the video that has the landing on it with me in the seat at the end.  *Kinda, it was a turn-around and the top of my head is cut off but you get what you get right?

Dinner.  YUM!
Aside from that the time here at Katmai Lodge has been good so far.  We've had some fantastic food.  Last night's dinner was like Thanksgiving.  A good home-cooked meal was just what was needed.  They said the food was good here and they didn't lie.  This morning's breakfast was great as well.  Fresh fruit out in the bush?  Yes please!

Sun setting above the horizon at 10:30
Skeeter catchers...FULL





















Our beds are comfy, the best that I've had so far.  I slept like a baby last night.  So much so that I didn't notice the new bite I got last night on my knee.  I'm not sure what got me but it's a little painful.  Not too bad though considering when I went out to look for bears at 10:30 last night I was swarmed by skeeters and who knows what else.  That made for a hasty retreat back to Osprey 2 (my cabin name).  There were no bears out anyway so all you get is a picture of the sun starting to set.  Yes, at 10:30 it's just there above the horizon.

I've found the lodge dogs to get my puppy fix and though right now I only have this one picture, the other two are a golden retriever and a sled dog.  Makes me think of what a young Ciqu would have looked like.  This black lab mix reminds me a little bit of Mom's old dog Sprocket.  She would sit at my feet and when I would stop petting her for a minute, around came her head to look at me like "excuse me, why did you stop?"

Oh, and the sweat with April, oh my!  I was like 30 seconds in and DYING!  It was good though.

Today's more inservice and we gotta get going.  Stay tuned for more!


1 comment:

  1. You do know the horrible truth about why they keep dogs up there, right? When they get ready to go outside, they shove the dog outside first to be eaten if there is a bear nearby.

    ReplyDelete