Monday, August 22, 2011

A thousand beeps


0600

Ok, who unplugged the power?  I almost feel like in this little village that it’s just a switch on a surge protector that got flipped (though I know that’s not the case) and someone just needs to hit it again to make it all come back on.  I know that's not the case, but it's pretty small out here.

I was told we had a back-up generator.  Right now, I’d like to know if that comes on by itself (oh obviously not right away) or if someone must turn it on/start it whatever.  When the power goes out, the servers (2 of them) have alarms.  They work for a little bit longer, about 30 minutes, and then shut down the internet abilities I found out.  Oh, I forgot to mention, one of those servers is in my front room.  Yes, I know about technology but I don’t play with servers that I don’t know how to work.  That could be a big mistake.  The incessant high pitch alarm is going to drive me NUTS!  I also forgot to mention that I have been sleeping in my front room on my couch while I wait for mattress toppers to arrive, imagine unknown alarms going off an hour before mine are supposed to.  Thank goodness I don’t overreact!

They were worth the shot.  The eyes...it's from the beeping!
So, it’s been 40 minutes now, I sit here typing my next blog wearing the only thing I can think of to help with the beeping.  My shooting earmuffs.  Problem is, it doesn’t take it away, it only mutes it a bit because it’s so high pitched.  I’m tempted to go for a walk but it’s early morning, and the bears could be out. (though I still haven’t seen one yet)  I might just take a quick shower while the water is still hot and take solace in my classroom with the door shut to try to get away from the beeping.  I know how to re-set the fire alarm system, I learned that yesterday when the maintenance guys were around.



Oh good, just thought you should know, the beeping gets faster, kind of like a ticking bomb.  I bet the power went out before 6 am and it was going on it’s last hour of power or something.  I’m so excited!

It sounds like that fast beeping means that it’s almost over.  The server shut off shortly after.  The server in the hallway still was beeping but the earmuffs took that one mostly away.  Then, about 3 minutes later, they all went away when the power came back on.  Hooray!

Now about that generator….


1 comment:

  1. Cute picture Dorothy :) I hope you get better sleep soon! Loving the blog!

    ReplyDelete