Sunday, June 12, 2011

Graduation day support

Yesterday was a pretty big day. Family came out to support me as I walked across the stage with 739 people to receive a degree. Many of those people I did not know, had never met and might only come across them in passing again. The walk through professors was a walk through my past. It spanned back through a time where I was just out of high school and headed into college not knowing much and trusting some of them with my life. (Coach Caster and the hammer throw!) I saw professors whom I admire, respect and have grown to love. Many asked how I was doing and then asked about the teaching I'll be doing in Alaska. For those who might just be joining, I hope you enjoy the journey.

To my family who came and supported me (by getting sore bums and backs while playing iPad) yesterday day in the stands, thank you. The graduation was long but I was happy to have you there! Plus, wasn't the name reader's voice totally worth it?! It was like a wonderful song that kept on forever. I wonder how long he had to practice those obscure names to get them just right?

On the flip side, I keep receiving information from my school district. A friend of mine and I who are arriving in Anchorage together are going to be flying from Anchorage to King Salmon together as well. I like that idea. We received a letter/email that gives us a $50 credit for Lake and Peninsula School District (LPSD) logo clothing. That's the next step for me today, I love sporting the school colors/logos! Then there is the idea of more packing. Wait...more...how about I start with figuring out what I am really going to pack, what I am going to ship and figuring out what address I need to ship it to!

My passport came yesterday. It's pretty official looking, though the picture looks more like a mug shot than an ok travel picture. I know you aren't supposed to smile in it but a smirk would have at least been nice. Darn it, I'm saddled with that picture now for 10 years! Oh well, as long as it gets me where I want to go if I ever need to leave the country, it will work for me.

So many things happened yesterday, life changing, transcript changing, moving forward onto the next step. I sure hope I am ready because it just keeps getting closer.

54 days...


No comments:

Post a Comment