Monday, July 18, 2011

What could possibly happen?


The past few days, each day something has happened that we might not have expected when walking out the door to start the day. I guess that is what makes life interesting and exciting at times. You never know how your day is going to turn out and that is what has happened to me (and those around me) recently.

Let's just start with Mom's stress test day. Shouldn't be a big issue, just run into town, wait around while she does her test and then head home. I didn't plan on spending so much money on some AWESOME boots for Alaska. They were there though and they ROCK! I had on a pair of Uggs at the same store but I didn't think they would be a practical choice. So I went with the Bogs that are good to -40°F and completely waterproof. The funny thing that happened that day though was on the way into town. I don't think we could have planned to see a full-sized Elmo on the side of the road. A daycare was painting and the art fair was going on at the same time so I guess it worked.

So the next thing we really didn't expect to see, flashing lights. This was a few days later in a different area and again I was riding shotgun, apparently I am now forever banned from riding in the car. The last two times she's gotten a ticket, I've been with her. The officer really was short and to the point. He had a great hiding spot and as we crested the hill, Mom just pulled over. Darn it.


The last thing that happened that we don't really expect happened when Charlene and I went out to a friend's 30th birthday party up on Detroit Lake. We enjoyed ourselves, I loved being out by a campfire and having a BBQ. It was actually refreshing and relaxing. A good get-a-way from the preparations of packing and shipping. So what is it that was so unexpected? Just before we leave to get out the gates before they close them at 10pm, a quick restroom stop turns into a fall for me. I head down a little pathway that has been packed by many feet and slicked wet by the rain. I had gone up this earlier in the day and there were no problems. Let me tell you, going down was a whole different story.

One little slip and my feet are in the air, my back is on the ground and the wind is gone from my lungs. A brief come-to and I hear people at the camp site: "Oh, someone just ate s**t!" Ya, that would be me. I reply with; "It's Dorothy, I'm ok." As I roll over Charlene makes sure I'm ok and I say I am but I'm really not sure. That night was ok, the next day (yesterday) was not so great. My entire back was tight and sore and I definitely paid the price for a stupid choice. Today is much better and I think I'll be able to get something accomplished today!

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

18 days until lift-off.

No comments:

Post a Comment