Friday, December 9, 2011

Fire and Ice

Sunset with a streak of ice

The frigid air that settles in along the bay here brings with it the ice, the snow and the fire in the sunsets. Living in the lower 48, in a place where it doesn't completely freeze unless there is a big cold snap, you don't experience such things as a river having a sheet of ice over the top of it, a pond freezing over so that you can drive on it or watching and listening to ice cracking while the tide comes in beneath the frozen layer.

31 years.  I'm still learning and experiencing new things.  I know the world is about learning, about doing and about changing the lives of others along the way.  I just don't think I ever thought that the feelings of the new experiences would feel so powerful when I experienced them.  Feeling like a child again who hears a new sound.  To know that you are hearing something for the first time, at 31!  To have the knowledge that this is what your brain is processing and that joy that you feel is pure, clean and uncensored.  How many of us can say that we experience that in our adult lives?  Is it only when our children cry for the first time?  *I don't know yet as I don't have children.  I look forward to comparing the two feelings someday!

I look forward to having more of these types of experiences as they are truly good for the soul.  For now though, you'll have to enjoy the silent pictures along with me.
Salt water ice that falls off and forms large icicles 
Ice forming along the edge of the flats, top view



View from my bedroom window as the sun says goodbye for the night

2 comments:

  1. Do they call hairbands and barrettes a "hair pretty" where you are at? It makes me laugh every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't have anything but high school boys....so, I'm not around the young girls enough to get that part of it. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete