Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Spring Break Pt. 3: Beautiful Alyeska

Beautiful Alyeska and their crazy skiers!

So I know it's been a long time coming, but here we got with the rest of the posts.  

Mom took the gondolas up to the top of the mountain with another teacher friend of mine.  They are used by riders who just want to hit the restaurant up at the top and the skiers and snowboarders who are crazy enough to ride their way down from the top of the mountain as well.  It was pretty cold as you can tell by the massive icicles hanging from the snow still on top of the building at the top.  The wind is pretty intense up there too.  That third picture shows how the wind shapes the icicles at quite the angle!
I'm not sure that Mom was so convinced about the sun deck at the top, I'm sure it's great in the summer time though. The rest of the pictures are from the top of the mountain and the general areas of restaurant/lodge at the top of the mountain.  That last picture is a beauty as the clouds began to dissipate and a clear shot of the surrounding mountains came into view.


While she was up on her ride, I was busy learning how to downhill ski.  I took some private lessons, advanced very quickly and was very happy that I had gone 1:1 with an instructor rather than with a group.  He was a very nice man and was pleased at how fast I progressed through the lessons.   Being a bit of an adrenaline junkie and competitive person, I know that only boosted my desire to continue to learn as well.  Honestly, I can't imagine a better place to learn how to ski!  I might have spoiled myself though.  I'm not sure the Oregon powder will be quite as nice.  I will give it a try though!



You can't even see where the chair lift goes because the clouds are still there....ride the gondola, then take the chair up further!   These guys are NUTS!



Sun Deck?


No comments:

Post a Comment