Thursday, January 19, 2012

Children of the Midnight Sun


Children of the Midnight Sun    By: Brown/Corral

Take a look inside the lives of 8 young native children and listen to their voices as they talk about what it's like to live in the different places, experience the different parts of Alaskan life and see just how different it can be for them than it is for the children of the lower 48.

Beautiful pictures show the light in the eyes as they express the love for their culture, talk about the heartaches they are overcoming, and what they are doing to preserve their ways of life.

I read this book to the elementary students as part of our history unit as they were to re-tell the stories to me afterwards.  To their surprise, and mine, the last story in the book included Egegik!  Maybe that's why we have an autographed copy in the library!

I hope you have an opportunity to enjoy someday just as I have.  I think the best part is knowing how to say some of the words, struggling through others and knowing that pre-August, I wouldn't have had a clue!

What else will I find in the AK section of our library?

No comments:

Post a Comment