Saturday, October 29, 2011

Surprises at home

I came home to see my hubby.   More than two months away has been hard on us both.  I also have never spent a birthday away from home and I know that Mom was a little heartbroken that it was about to happen.  Well fine then, we'll just make it not happen.  I wanted to see everyone and I knew they'd be happy to see me.  Or so I thought.

My flight home takes awhile because of the village flight so by the time I touched down in Portland, I was already exhausted.  It was alright as I was running on excitement and adrenaline.  A nice big hot chocolate from the Daily Buzz started the morning and Mom and I were off on our morning shuffle from place to place to surprise a few people.

The first person was Theresa, my dog grooming friend who, if she had springs for shoes, would have jumped over her counter when she saw me.  We had Mom go in and "try" to shut the door but fail as she talked to her about a fake appointment as I slid in the already open door.  It was great to see her reaction and Mom going to see the delight in her face when she saw me.  She had work to do though and I had more people to see.  While I said I'd get to see her again the weekend took over and I didn't get to see her before leaving.  :(  I guess we'll have to spend a bit of time at Christmas when I'll be home for a couple of weeks instead of a couple of days!

We then moved onto surprising Charlene.  As we drove up, I knew that she would still be asleep.  I was hoping she'd had forgotten to lock her doors and I could just walk in and surprise her but it wasn't my luck.  I also told Mom that if she did lock her doors, she'd wake up when I knock, peek through her blinds before going to the door and see her car.  I knew she'd think something was wrong with me and come shuffling out real quick in her robe.  HA.....only to find me at the door!  I'm not sure she really believed it but she did meet me with a huge hug and decided that since I was home, we had to immediately hit the doughnut shop.  So, we did.  *Yummy*

After that, I knew I needed a nap before the rest of the day continued.  I had been up for over 24 hours and before I saw the hubby, I wanted to be a little more awake and able to deal with the rest of the day.  A quick nap at Mom's house began with me on the couch and her starting to go into the other room to sit in her chair and "leave me alone."  Uh, no, please sit in here and keep me company, I've been alone for almost 3 months.  I don't care if you are just silent and reading a paper while I'm trying to fall asleep, just another breathing body in the room is good.  I almost called the dog up on the couch with me.  That would have been better than no one else again!

Phew, a quick nap and then onto surprise the hubby.  He didn't take it so well because he was caught so off guard.  He was very happy that I was home once the shock wore off.  I also think that he was happy when I was able to clean the house while he finished up his homework.  He got to focus and I got a little bit of therapy cleaning my own house.  Sounds weird I know, however, it was kinda nice.  A part of me liked it and a part of me didn't.  Now, coming home at Christmas, he knows I'm coming and I won't want to clean, I'll want to enjoy the festivities!  He's well aware!

Let's see.  So later that night we knew that a dinner with the whole family had been scheduled already.  I figured that I would just surprise my sister there.  It didn't really work out that way.  You see, I hid around the corner when I saw the lights pull into the driveway so I could walk up behind her and give her a hug.  I was expecting a pretty big jump and surprised reaction from her.  I kinda felt like it was like....ho, hum.  Ok, well whatever.  She held out an envelope from the picture people and told us that they had gotten new pictures taken.  Ok, I'll look.
*thinking*  "Man, ok, more pictures?  Didn't you guys just get some?"
-opens the envelope-
"OMG!"
*thinks* "Oh no, what  if Mom doesn't know yet"
Shopping ensued
-pulls it together and hands envelope to Mom.  Turns to sister and hugs her some more.
Picture inside envelope



So, shock and awe part of the weekend was over.  A few stops to see people happened.   I met a few babies that were born or came home from the hospitals while I was up here in Alaska and they are beautiful/handsome!  I enjoyed some quality time with the husband and some shopping time with the sissy.  She horsed around a bit though.  I'm sure she'll turn out to be a great role model for a soon to be son/daughter.  Well, we can hope at least!  Progress at this point seems to be about 9 weeks with a due date of May 29th.  I should be home from Alaska on their 10 year wedding anniversary.  May 20th.  Let's hope that little one stays in there long enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment