Saturday, October 29, 2011

Inservice

The time at home was much too short but inservice was upon me and I had to be back in King Salmon, AK in time for it.  Flying home on my birthday wasn't really my idea of fun but it allowed me the most time with my loved ones.  Flying back into Alaska provided me with some wonderful views of the mountains from my single seat and I enjoyed the scenery even while my thoughts were of home and of those that I had left behind.  Turning those thoughts around to what lie ahead; inservice, friends that I had made but not seen for almost 3 months and a bed that was not a SAVEC but at what would prove to be a beautiful lodge!  The water however would prove to be something of a different story.
Bear Trail Lodge reminded me of home.   One glance at the windows from the back area at night and I'm sure those of you who know Mom's house can see why.  The crisp blue sky and the warm glow from the inside show the lodge in some of it's glory.  What you see here is the main portion of the lodge. On the right is the kitchen area, the center is the main gathering room and to the left is the dining area.  Down below are some rooms (mine) and I am standing on the hot tub deck that over looks the water.

My room that I shared with 3 other ladies was named the Wolf Den.  I was already missing my puppies and I thought it was kinda funny that I got a canine inspired room!

During my time there I spent quite some time watching Bald Eagles fly but only got one opportunity during the daylight to get a picture.  Of course it was a bit blurry and by the time I got the camera stable, it was gone, but the picture is still here as it's the closest I've ever been to a wild one!  The wingspans are just insane and it does make you humble as you watch them fly.


The water out the back deck of Bear Trail Lodge
Accommodations at the lodge were great.  The food was wonderful and the company was wonderful.  The water however was a bit stinky.  Not drinkable as they were having issues but they did provide us with bottled water.  Showering in it was weird but you do what you gotta do right?  Getting to know the staff in the district is nice and through the inservice times I'm finally starting to feel like I know some people's names!  I think that is one part of working in such rural sites where you don't move around that I really miss, getting to know more people and the interaction with others.  It's alright though, it's still nice to come back and have my solitude too.

Part of inservice was a memorial run/walk for a teacher in the district who passed while experiencing her own adventure in Alaska.  Near the start line, all bundled up as we headed down to the beach for the 3K+ beach walk I couldn't help but have my photo taken by the perfectly-named boat!  Oh, it was cold, by the end of it I think my legs were purple from the wind but I was warm from the blood flow!




Once inservice was over and I had gotten some good comments about my iMovie presentation, it was time to head home.  A very frosty morning greeted us on at Pen-Air.  As Arimie and I sat in the plane they de-iced it.  It was pretty cool to watch the chemicals just melt it away as if it had never been there and we were ready to go.  De-icing at the airport should never slow things down.  Well, at least for small planes.  The big ones probably take some time!!  I guess it comes out of the trucks at like 140°, or so I was told.

Frosty plane-Heavy frost!

1 comment:

  1. I got ulcers from the "filtered" water they offered us! And, hey, you owe me that power point! It snowed up here in Newhalen this evening! Yeah snow.

    ReplyDelete