Friday, September 2, 2011

Things I wished I knew....or wished I did.

You can prepare and prep so much but you are going to forget something, miss something or just plain ol' drop the ball.

Here's what I have learned.

When sending stuff from home:

1.  Pack some dry laundry detergent, enough for a few loads while you are waiting on all the stuff from Anchorage to get there.  You will want to get some laundry done.

2.  Pack some Dawn, ziplock it too.  Wanting to wash some dishes is a big thing, if you don't have it, using the hand soap that you did remember looks awfully appealing!

3.  Read the bread ingredients.  Read them again.  Make sure you get everything packed.  DOAH!  I wonder if you can make it w/out the shortening??  I'll google it before trying, it's so much work to just "wing it".  Thank goodness a little bit of butter will work, it's a bit drier but it will work in a pinch.

4.  The thought ; "That should be enough padding"  is WRONG.  Put more in for your dishes if you really want the real ones instead of plastic.  You will have broken dishes and it will be disappointing.

5.  When sending stuff from Anchorage:  If it's something more than food, put insurance on it.  Remember what you packed and know how much it costs to replace.  Not knowing what you are sending without insurance gives you no tracking number and no way to know where it is at.  Knowing that food isn't coming isn't as bad as knowing that $500 worth of clothing and supplies all wrapped up in one bag hasn't made it from Anchorage after 3 weeks.  (by the way, it did finally make it but it was SUPER nerve racking)

When in Anchorage...or just Alaska in General:

1. Get some bug spray with DEET in it.  The more the better as long as you're not allergic.  The mosquitos and no-see-um's can be terrible!  I have looked like I have a bad case of acne on my forehead, either that or the chicken pox I can't decide.  They can bite through pants though not as easily.

2.  Get some "Afterbite"  Takes away the itch immediately.  FANTASTIC stuff!

3.  White socks (bugs) SUCK.  Swarms of bugs are amazing and annoying at the same time.  Putting your face into the wind helps keep them away from your face.

In general:

1.  Don't buy a huge cooler.  You can only put 50 lbs. in it for the airline "Pen-Air" and they will charge you for anything over.  Just get the small inexpensive ones or a tote if you know you'll get it to your village quickly or it will be in a freezer storage.  Save yourself the money.

2.  Keep up on any retailers that you order from/ship from.  Wal-mart won't always do the Bush shipping with your credit card even if they take it from you.  I had things arrive COD and I was glad I had cash on me.  I've been dealing with KOHLS about shipments that haven't arrived either but other things that were ordered almost a week an a half later have already arrived (also from Kohl's).


I'm sure I'll come up with more things later but we learn as we go right?


No comments:

Post a Comment