Friday, September 9, 2011

10 years...

It's two days away.  I will be alone.  10 years ago a quick phone call to those who meant the world to me was a lifeline and made my world feel safe as I watched in horror with another friend as the East Coast was ravaged.  Sure, I felt pretty safe but it was still scary.

I live now in a place where people seem disconnected from it, there hasn't been one mention.  The adults might have thought about the pipeline but it's far enough away for them to not worry too much, why would they have anything to do with this little village?  The kids are too young to remember what happened that day.  In fact, I have three of my students flying on that day.  It might be an irrational fear but I don't think you could pay me enough to fly on the 11th.  I doubt those kids even blink at the thought.  Is it a curse or a blessing?  For me or for them?

Many said this was going to be our generations Pearl Harbor and they might just be right.  A day forever burned into our memory.  Those closer will have must more stress, trauma and a hard time dealing with it.  Those of us who were further away, it depends on how you took it.  I was glad it wasn't where I was but at the same time I felt terrible for those men, women and children who had to be in the middle of it.  

The children in schools were brave, many turning right into service roles.  We can not forget those who ran into the fire and chaos to save what lives they could forsaking their own.  They do it all the time in every town across the United States.  Pay homage to those who serve by supporting them.  They are there when you need them.  Behind the scenes people dedicate their lives to being 911 call-takers & dispatchers, ambulance drivers right along side those that are what the public sees.  People volunteer time to make food boxes, visit the elderly and help out a neighbor.  If we all tried to do something nice for someone, our communities would be better places.  Honor those who serve; no matter in what station.  

<<Steps down off soapbox>>


1 comment:

  1. My son-in-law, a paramedic, just got fired for joking around and hiding a volunteer's cookies. The worst part is he gave them back and didn't even eat them.

    ReplyDelete