Monday, February 27, 2012

The Deep Hike

A long hard walk through the snow.  A beautiful blue sky and some wondrous sights to see was the adventure for the day.  You never really know what will happen on a hike through the village but the guarantee of some adventure is definitely there.

The snow had been falling quite often for quite some time and the clear beauty of the day was exciting.  What do we do on an exciting day?  Go for a walk, of course.  When it snows a bunch and then you go walking, sometimes the snow gets rather deep in spots.  Trudging across the road, it's not really that deep.  The road has been plowed several times.  Step off of the road and you hit deep snow.  We hit the lake just by the school and it was immediately knee deep sometimes deeper.  Along the way I found a few things that peaked my interest.  I stumbled along snow sitting on interesting dead plants, students upon hills, and a fox on a hill that we crept up on and watched as it saw us and then decided to leave.
It looks great, a fantastic mountain....we'll let you think that.  The boys showing the way.

I was thankful to be in the back of the pack.  The rest of the trekkers could break the trail and I could just tramp it down a bit more.  Through the snow we continued across the lake to the banks of the lake where the kids knew it was much deeper.  They had a plan in mind, knowing how deep it had been in the past few days while they had been out walking around.  Now, they wanted to see how deep it was and put me in the lead.  Let's see if the teacher could actually get through it!

Imagine for a second if you will, two students who are 6'2" plus, pushing a 5'4" (almost) teacher in front of them to see just how high up the snow is.  Well, in the beginning I was up to my waist in snow.  Each time I took a step it was walking from the hip.  Not just moving the leg and the knee but actually picking up my leg, swinging it up and over the snow at waist level, and then taking another step.  A few steps in, I found myself chest deep in snow.  Time to be in the back of the pack again, I was just not up to that task of blazing the trail.  Don't get me wrong, it was fun, it's just hard to walk when you can't bend at the waist any longer.

We ended the day with some flips off a snow bank, gymnastics skills coming in handy.  The walk was long and tiring but I did have fun once again and will continue to enjoy each experience I have in Egegik.



We got a good amount of snow, the tree was looking rather festive.

No comments:

Post a Comment